For a budget to work, you have to follow the steps.
- Dedicate a time and place. You and your spouse will need approximately 30 minutes. It should be quiet with no distractions. Put the kids to bed, turn off the TV and put your phones away.
- Have a list of last month’s expenses. Have your bank/ credit card statements handy. Make sure to include specialty items such as birthday gifts, Christmas, graduations etc. Remember to include debt repayments, insurance and taxes.
- Write everything down. Go old school with a pad of paper and pencil, or use a Budget App.
- Your budget must balance. You cannot spend more than you make.
- Do this every month before the 1st of the month.
Don’t worry about getting it right the very first time. It takes about 3 months of trial and error before you become a master of the budget.
Get started today. Reach out, I will help you conquer your budget.